April 15, 2019
Helen Toner, the director of strategy at Georgetown’s Center for Security and Emerging Technology (CSET), shares her observations from the last few years of talking with AI scientists and policymakers in the US and China. Helen and Julia discuss, among other things:
- How do the views of Chinese and American AI scientists differ?
- How is media coverage of China misleading?
- Why the notion of an “AI arms race” is flawed
- Why measures of China’s AI capabilities are overstated
- Reasons for optimism and pessimism about international cooperation over AI